Oh, those guys from New Zealand, Bret and Jermaine, still crack me up. "I'm Not Crying" is one of those songs that goes straight to my soul because of all the denial. The excuses. The sadness. It would be heartbreaking if my heart wasn't already liquid.
This silly song reminds me of the denial and excuses we tell ourselves when we don't want to face (or admit) the truth.
- I don't count calories because I'm not good with numbers.
- I don't implement my housekeeping schedule because I feel too boxed in.
- I sleep in late because I have to search the web late at night.
- I don't exercise because I'm too busy.
- My poor tummy needs a milkshake because of the spicy food.
- I'd be a patient mom if my kids weren't hyper.
- If I didn't have so much to do I'd be willing to play hanky-panky with my man more often.
- The Bible is boring so I don't need to read it.
- I only watch soaps for the hairstyles.
- I can't give to others because we won't have enough for ourselves.
- My husband doesn't deserve my respect because he makes mistakes.
- Smoking helps me keep my weight down.
- I'm not bitter, but I won't ever forget how I was wronged.
- This new purse will help me get a promotion.
What is your excuse today? Are you avoiding the truth in some area of your life? See, when we dance around reality, look the other way, or point fingers at someone else, we never get out the quagmire that holds us down. We wonder why we don't experience freedom and joy in certain areas of our life, but we're never willing to go beyond our denials and "perfectly legitimate reasons" for being the way we are - to live life more fully.
Today's Small Thing is to call your own self out on an excuse.
Just for today, see how it feels to be free of that big old monkey on your back. Say it like it is, recognize the truth, and find the strength to move forward. Your excuse might be silly, or it might be something that calls for real repentance before God. It might feel risky, but oh! the joy you'll find afterward!
I've always said that our home sanctuary is founded on peace, order and beauty. Peace comes when we make things right with our God, love the people around us and pay attention to the small things we do....and we'll never get around to those things as long as we deny that we need to change.
Join me for a No Excuse Day! Just pick one excuse and tell the truth. Live free today!
Song of the Day: I'm Not Crying, Flight of the Conchords
Oh, and want to know my excuses? "I don't need to plan a menu because it's just the two of us now," and "No one will read my book if I write it so why bother?"
I'm turning both into positive statements instead: "I need to plan a menu because it's just the two of us," and, "I can't wait to write my book so people can read it!"
What excuses can YOU turn into positive statements?