(Cue pretty music)
Ah, Pinterest. Ah, HGTV. Ah Internet.
I love how you bring images of lovely things to my sight. How you make my heart beat with desire over DIY projects and new decor. I love how my head spins with ideas and dreams for my home.
(Kill pretty music)
Bvvvvvvt. I don't love how depressed I feel later, when I see my same, tired junk. Staring me in the face, mocking my decorating dreams. I see you, dust. I see you, faded couch and sad little pillow. I'm talking to you, broken lamp and faded silk flowers. You make me feel sad and deprived. And slightly angry. My countenance falleth.
But today I will love you. I will pretend you are new and pretty and shiny. I will dust you and plump you, and primp you. I will rearrange you so that your best side shows. I will take a photo of you and share it on Instagram because I'm proud of our history together.
How can I love what I have? Here are five ways:
1. I shall have less of it out. I shall clear the clutter so a few lovelies can have their moment to shine.
2. I shall clean it. Perhaps a soak in water or a wipe with a damp cloth will bring them back to life. I know they will breathe easier without an inch of dust on them.
3. I shall rearrange it. I shall group them in three's, and stagger their heights so that they look like a vignette. Just like the designers do on TV.
4. I shall repurpose it. I shall think of new ways to use old things. I shall see containers, wall art and tools where others see junk. I shall be inventive and creative.
5. I shall be grateful. My things are paid for, they are family heirlooms, they are memories. They remind me that I have more than I need, when others would love to have my old couch, or my ginormous television set, things I have disdained and said, "get thee from my sight." I shall now say, "Thou art beautiful in my sight, oh my stuff, for thou art paid for."
Do you feel unhappy with your home and decor? Do you wish for a fairy to come along and wave a magic wand? Are you in danger of running up your credit card bill at HomeGoods, in a desperate moment?
Today's Small Thing is to love what you have.
Take one (or all) of the five tips above and make them your own. Shop your house, rearrange, repurpose, re-do. Give thanks, for thou art blessed. Truly.
And hey, why not post on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter? Please tag me so I can come and love your stuff right along with you! Tell me what you love!