Being a visual person, naturally I love charts and graphs. That's why I adore this Procrastination Flowchart so much. It just says it all so succinctly.
And as one who has mastered the Art of Procrastination, Today's Small Thing cuts right to my core by forcing me to....
Get One Procrastinated Task Done.
I say "just one" because at my house there are so many, it's hard to choose. But I think I'm up to the challenge.
Last night I framed two photos that have been sitting there waiting for nearly 7 months....and it took me all of 10 minutes to hang them. I love how they look on the wall, and I LOVE how good it feels to do such a simple task. Now why didn't I do that sooner??
Go with me here, Company Girls.
- Do you have a bag of items sitting by the back door or in your closet that needs to be taken to a donation center? How long has it been there?
- Do you have something that is almost completely painted, but because of interruptions, is not quite done?
- Do you have picture frames sitting around with no pictures in them because you can't choose which cute photos to put in?
- Do you have an article of clothing that needs a little, tiny stitch to be good as new, but just sits in the "fix it" pile?
- Do you have flowers in their 4 inch pots from the nursery that you fell in love with at the time, but now are wilting away because you haven't put them in the ground yet?
- Do you really need to clean out the pet area but just hate to invest that much energy on animals when there are people who need your attention?
- Do you have an item that needs to be returned to the store, but because you don't want to stand in the Customer Service line, just sits in its bag...waiting?
OK, only ONE of the above items is NOT on my list of things I am procrastinating. Can you guess which one??
Today's Small Thing is to do ONE thing that you've been putting off.
It doesn't have to be a big thing, like painting all the trim on your house (although, again, it's on my list), it can be as simple as hanging two framed prints on the wall.
IMPORTANT NOTE, PLEASE READ: I often find I procrastinate doing things that will give me pleasure. In an odd way, it's a form of delayed gratification. Or maybe even a way of putting others first. Tasks like working in the flower bed, fixing a blouse, or painting a piece of furniture seem to benefit ME and are thus, easy to put off because I'm a bit of a martyr. You too? I thought so. But listen. In the end, those tasks really benefit EVERYONE and will give your spirits a wonderful lift when you are through.
What task will you DO today, instead of putting off until tomorrow?
Song of the Day: Feels like Today, Rascal Flatts